Tuesday 20 May 2014

Motorcycle trip to Namibia: Day 8 - Going back home

Not yet. Going home was for later today. We first had to see the Fish River Canyon.

This natural wonder is the second largest canyon in the world. The gigantic ravine is about 160 km long, up to 27 km wide and in places almost 550 metres deep.


From Ais-Ais it was a 68 km gravel road ride to the lookout point at Hobas. As it was early morning, the veld had a different and fresher smell to it than yesterday afternoon on the way in to Ais-Ais. Even the colours and textures in nature around me were more vibrant and pronounced.

“Go ahead and show off, Namibia! It is, after all, our last day to experience the wonders that you have to offer!” I shouted inside my crash helmet.



The only sound that one could hear while overlooking the gigantic ravine, was that of cameras clicking. Perhaps it was the magnitude of what we saw that left us speechless. Perhaps it was our inability to find words to describe this vista that made us remain quiet. As if adhering to an unwritten rule, nobody said a word. 



And then it was time to go home. We covered the 200 km to Noordoewer in good time and went smoothly through the border post at around one o’clock the afternoon. From there it was steady and focused riding to try to cover the almost 700 km home before sunset.

Those who know the characteristics of the BMW boxer engine will be familiar with the reassuring and almost hypnotising resonance that comes from these solid engines while cruising at high speed. And with this symphony as background in my ears, I replayed our Namibian experience over the past eight days as we journeyed home. I especially recalled my need for an adventure to clear my head and to find myself again.

But it turned out to be much more than only an adventure. I’ve experienced a pilgrimage which cleansed my mind and soothed my soul. Namibia allowed me to again find my true self, far away from the rushed and everyday world that I’ve left behind at the start of the journey.

Piketberg, Mooreesburg, Malmesbury, Stellenbosch. I was back in familiar territory with towns with soft on the ear sounding names. But it now had a fresh ring to it. I was a new person.

Thank you, Namibia!


No comments:

Post a Comment